Here's a list of places and activities that we think are our top things to see in the area. We visited in March 2019 so we had great warm weather. Make sure you visit in the summer months as the beaches are perfect for a relax and swim.
1. Lucky Bay - Head to Lucky Bay and meet the resident locals on the beach. Lucky Bay is an iconic place to visit in Australia with people coming from all over the world to experience seeing a kangaroo on a pristine beach setting. Lucky Bay is located in the Cape Le Grand National Park, which is approximately a 1 hour drive from Esperance. Being a national park it is not dog friendly so make sure you organise a sitter before hand. The park itself is huge but you could see all the sights in one day if you had a time limit. If no time limit exists for you then you can spend weeks camped up along the beautiful beaches
2. Eleven Mile Beach - This beach was one of our favourites due to the good fishing, snorkelling and we were fortunate enough to see a couple of horses gallop around the water's edge. Fishing off the rocky reef edge you can catch multiple different species like Salmon, Rockfish, herring and more.
3. Twilight Beach - WOW! This beach is stunning! The waters here can be very calm which is great for the kids and paddleboard. Lots of beginner surfers will also practice here with some long sets coming through. This beach is only a 10 min drive from the town center so its easily accessible even if you have to hire a push bike.
4. Rock Climb 4WD - This one is NOT for the faint hearted but you dont need to drive it if you dont want to. The rock is a 15 min drive east of Esperance and found on WikiCamps App. Due to the nature of the rock it has an extreme approach angle and a gnarley climb up the rock. It's recommended that you walk it first and pick a track as there's no turning round once you're on it.
5. Beach drive from Wylie Bay to Cape Le Grand - A beautiful drive and alternative route to the National Park. The Beach drive is approx 22kms with soft sand in areas so 4x4 with appropriately deflated tyres is recommended. The Rock climb mentioned above is also at the start of this drive coming from Esperance.
6. Membinup Beach - This is a great campsite and area to visit, it's a 100km drive from Esperance with the last section dirt and not really suitable for 2wd tow vehicles. This camp was a favourite of ours as it was away from the crowds and some good rock hole exploring.
7. The Great Ocean Drive - A beautiful stretch of coast line to explore with heaps of pull offs to adventure. This drive is bitchumen so great for everyone and also a fairly short drive in total. If you continue the drive all the way it loops you back to Esperance via the 'Not so pink, pink lake'.
8. Hellfire Bay, Cape Le Grand NP - If the crowds are too much for you at Lucky Bay then here is the place for you. Rumour has it you can also see Kangaroos on the beach here. Its only a short drive down the road from Lucky Bay so you might as well pop in for a look.
9. Observatory Point - This a great look up on the great ocean drive with EPIC views of the surrounding areas. Hot tip if you like to fish, they're some great rock spots just below so make sure you take a rod with you. I had no luck but i did see some BIG salmon at the time.
10. Blue Haven - Doesn't the name just say it all? A beautiful calm beach to relax and unwind.
Thanks for checking out our top 10 Esperance spots. Make sure to keep an eye out for our Episode on YouTube of the area, it's going to be EPIC.